The basement rehabilitation is in full effect! By updating the layout down there, we’ll be rewarded with 567 sq. ft. of more usable, functional, and friendly space (and we’ll have a much better way of organizing tools and gardening supplies). Not so long ago, I posted some photos of the basement “before” we had a truly actionable plan of attack (check that post out here) and now, I’m sharing a follow-up post to give you a sneak peek of our work-in-progress, and more importantly, a road map for the overall plan.
- Yes, there’s a small unfinished bathroom down there. We’ll be removing the walls, sink, and sink plumbing. Materials are being carefully salvaged so they can be upcycled into a big workbench/storage unit.
- Pete wants to keep the toilet installed but will fashion the area with a new floor platform because the current one isn’t in great shape anymore. (I’m lovingly referring to this solitary toilet as his throne.)
- As part of the plumbing reorg, he’s going to be removing and capping off an old sink outlet in the “old bathroom” area.
- Not only are we going to make a workbench/storage area from the old bathroom materials, but I’m also going to create a potting area for plants against a wall which is already equipped with brand-spankin’-new copper plumbing (it’s just begging for a sink, I tell you).
- Electrically speaking, we’ve begun by removing the lighting from the “old bathroom” and are going to replace the lost lighting over the laundry and new workbench area. We can run a simple new wire for plugs straight from the electrical box.
- Also, you can’t really tell in the above photo, but the whole area beneath the staircase has been capped off with some less-than-pretty paneling. We’re thinking about removing that framework and making better use of the space.
- And… I have an extra roll of insulation, so I’m going to try and repair any area that feels even the littlest bit drafty.
I’ll update you as we make progress, but here are some initial photos from the demo (sorry so dark, I wish there was more natural light down there):