The family I purchased my home from had three young children, therefore, both of the bedrooms were adorned for… very… young… children. While one room featured a rainbow ceiling fan and blue walls (see my progress with that room in the before and after section), the smallest of the bedrooms was clearly the sweet, sweet nursery, with light green walls, hand painted animals, and coordinating wallpaper. This smaller bedroom is the appropriate size for a crib, but any adult-sized bed would have been a squeeze (not impossible, just snug). The master closet is pretty small, so I had a lot of overflow happening, and that’s what fueled my decision to make this small bedroom my walk-in closet. See some befores, and keep reading to see the transformation:
Like other rooms in the house, the carpeting was removed and hardwoods were refinished. In regards to the animal paintings, I decided to neutralize the walls, priming (twice) and painting (thrice) to create a fresh white space. I’ve always wanted to paint a ceiling light blue or light gray, so this was my test room for that endeavor – light blue it remains! In addition to utilizing the closet, I needed some extra storage – especially in the shoe department. I lucked out by purchased three matching IKEA shelves from a friend who was having a moving sale – and happily, they fit alongside the long wall in the room perrrfectly! The open-shelves at the top serve as storage to (most of my) shoes, and the lower storage conceal extra books, paperwork, photos, and gift wrapping supplies.
I’m still working on adding additional exposed storage, but I still rely on the door itself to display my (ever-increasing) collection of scarfs. And I started with installing hooks for my small collection of necklaces.
The dresser shown in the above photos was a free-salvage from an old apartment. I refinished it once, banged it up moving 3+ times, and am going to refinish it once more (thinking smooth, glossy white – thoughts?). I’d still love to get a nice carpet and a small cushy chair for this room, but Cody makes me not want to over-invest in area rugs, and I haven’t found a “i-love-it” chair (truthfully, I’m hoping I can find one to refinish).
But if nothing else, I have room for a growing wardrobe :)
The “kitchen island” that I found curbside lived in my house for about 15 months before I was in the right frame of mind to rehab it. I use the term “kitchen island” loosely because I’m fairly sure that the previous owners used this table as a planting surface or basement storage area. I lysol’ed the heck out of it and let it work for me as an extra surface in the kitchen, until just recently, when I decided it was time to do the envisioned fixes.
The original table had some interesting elements that I liked – built-in shelves and dowel details on the sides, cute scalloped legs, and a generally nice frame. The height was an issue. I’m a tall 5’8″, so I couldn’t easily do much slicing and dicing on the low tabletop surface. The vinyl tabletop was also an issue – old and eternally dirty, let alone the fact that it didn’t match anything I owned.
What’d I do? Tore off the top of the table and trashed it. I’m pretty sure I found mold in there too (insert completely horrified face). The remaining frame was carefully disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled in such a way to re-purpose the shelves on one side and dowels. New legs (1″x3″ and 1″x6″ boards) cost approx $15 from Home Depot (I even sprung for higher quality lumber) and the height of the new table matches the height of the countertop, so it’s perfectly comfortable to work at now.
Butcherblock would have been a PERFECT new top to this table, but I couldn’t afford a new piece, and decided that I wanted to paint the surface white eventually (there are too many types of wood in that kitchen already), so I headed to Home Depot to see if I could find any inspiration. I found some tongue-and-groove flooring in a clearance area that I decided to try – it seemed sturdy when I laid it together in the store, and I ended up only needing three-10′ boards ($9 total, since they were on sale). I thought some 1″x2″ boards might suffice as a trim/casing for the tabletop. We glued, and let that dry for a day, trimed the edges even, applied some underneath support (with Pete’s new nail gun!), and sanded, sanded, sanded.
The final table will need to be painted (probably white) again, but I’m leaving as-is for now.