After I disassembled the stairwell gallery, and updated my mantle with the color block art, I found myself with nearly 2-dozen frames in storage (a.k.a. shoved in the corners in all rooms of my house). It’s a shame to keep all of that pretty stuff hidden away, and it’s also way more efficient to store the art on the walls instead of risking it getting dinged and danged every time you try and move the vacuum in and out of the guest room closet (the closet was especially occupado with frames, and is also home to the Dyson, sorry guests).
I wasn’t until yesterday that I began to put some of them back in business, feeling inspired to occupy this blank wall in the office that’s highly viewable when you’re standing on the second story landing.
Following the same technique I employed when making the original stairwell gallery, I played with the frame layout using a few pieces of newsprint cut/taped to match the size of the frames I planned on using. These days I use this technique even when I’m hanging a single frame; it’s nice to know how a frame is going to look before bringing nails and a hammer into the mix.
It wasn’t initially intended to be a wall honoring IKEA design, but the white frames took over the show and inarguably looked lovely together. I changed the upper right quadrant on the fly and brought in a new large RIBBA frame that’s still empty to balance out the wall. Now I’ll keep an eye out for something to bring it to life (I also realized when hanging it that I had never hung one of these frames in a landscape orientation – I have no large-scale landscape art). I’ll probably hang a few smaller frames along the lower right corner of the wall, just above the electrical outlet, just haven’t found the right fit since I don’t own any white tiny RIBBAs.
To add a little utility to this wall in the office, I transferred the IKEA SPONTAN magnet board that was previously above the desk to this wall (get a glimpse of it in it’s previous location here). New location = likey.
Backing out and looking at the new arrangement from the hallway, it looks good too. With exception of the stack of junk right inside the entryway, oops.
And removing the magnet board from above the desk didn’t make that much of a difference; there’s still plenty of room to hang, clip, prop, and peg stuff that we need to look at (including wreaths that never found their way into storage).
Speaking of the office storage, I’m gearing up to paint those filing cabinets one of these days (I’ve been holding out for an unseasonably warm afternoon to take care of it all on the porch). Stay tuned.