Primetime, Dog Edition

July 29, 2013   //  Posted in: DIY, Dog-Related   //  By: Emily   //  12 responses

We learned a few things this weekend:

• It takes approximately 34 man hours, three sheets of sandpaper, 5 cups of drywall compound, a 1/4 cup of lightweight joint compound, two brushes, two rollers, and 5 gallons of primer to prep the walls in 5 rooms in our house.
  • Old curtains are a hot item on Craigslist.
  • Dogs are known to never let their pregnant owners out of sight.
  • Cody only naps on his left side, and when he is leaning against something.
  • Quite often, when he won’t leave his pregnant owner’s side, that “something” is a freshly painted wall, and hilarity ensues.

Our loyal Bernese Mountain Dog, covered in paint.

Why yes, yes you do have a little something on your hindquarters. And ear, and shoulder, and whisker, and eyebrow.

We got a little carried away with ourselves this weekend, in part because of that law that states that you can’t stop painting when you still have half a tray of primer left, you just have to start prepping the next space on your list. And before you know it, you have no idea what time of day it is, you haven’t eaten, and you’ve covered more ground than than you anticipated doing in a weeks time.

I have a lot of pictures to go through, check back tomorrow to see some dramatic “after” photos of our freshly primed home. BYE BEIGE.

Comments

Hooray progress!! Also, poor Cody! Haha

• Diane

Hmmm… I think yellow or gold would have been a more flattering “highlight” for the supremely protective Cody. How sweet. Can’t wait to see the new colors!

• Martina

That’s usually how it goes with painting ;) poor Cody, he doesn’t seem to know what to make of his new spots.

I’m just glad he’s not scratching or chewing at himself yet. He’s quite oblivious, obviously.

• FURminator

Protecting your loved ones is a dirty job! What a sweet boy!

I gave up after painting over 4 butter colored bedrooms. The downstairs is for another day… or year… We lucked out though, downstairs is white, although heavily textured, hence the waiting. Sending you luck and hoping your hands aren’t all claw like now!

Total claw hands. Also, our right hands are disproportionately muscular. Must sit and do nothing for a few days. The butter color covered pretty well, but we had some texture to deal with as well. What a pain! No one ever do textured walls, mkay? More to come tomorrow.

• Diane

Oops … never do textured walls, you say? But 20 years ago when I bought the house, I had the most horrible gold foil tree wallpaper on unsized walls in the master bedroom, sitting room and dressing room. I was a newbie DIY and the walls were a mess when I finally got all the paper and glue down. And I used the dreaded texture paint. What did I know? Well I’m still here and guess who has a LOT of sanding to do?? I can’t put it off much longer. It did seem like a good idea at the time!! Can I borrow Cody?

Cody will be absolutely no help to you with sanding. He may, however, roll around enough on the ground to gather some of the dust you create in his thick, thick fur. Sorry about your textured walls :(

Luckily our texture is amazing (1929 Plaster). But SUCH a pain to paint. Hoping you don’t end up with pesky pregnancy carpal tunnel. There must be a memo to all sellers to paint your house with butter. Your transformation already looks awesome, even if its only primer!

My parents have wonderful plasterwork in their house too. I’ve always loved it, it could never be easily replicated if it got damaged. Plus, it’s only two walls and not a total paint to paint right over if you’re using a thick roller. You sound like one of my BabyCenter updates with the pregnancy carpal tunnel warnings; no issues yet but it sounds like it happens to a lot of people??

I’ve been told our plaster texture was created with a burlap bag. All of the plaster-master’s are dying so its hard to find someone to help with repairs.

I’ve never been preggo but my co-workers got it. Sounds terrible and totally unproductive!

Can’t wait to see more updates and colors from you! I’d also love to see a site plan and where that crazy barn is placed. I’d love to have a barn!